Large Format View Camera Workshop
For those serious about photography, a large format view camera is the ultimate tool. By using the various movements such as rise, fall, swing, tilt and shift we can adjust the depth of field, focal point, line convergence, foreground distortion and other effects without changing any exposure settings. The creative options are endless! Our tutors will show you how these techniques can be applied to your work while exploring the cobbled bluestone alleyways of industrial Kensington. The Fox Darkroom will supply a beautiful wooden 4×5 view camera, complete with all the accessories for students to learn on. If you have your own 4×5 camera however, please feel free to bring it along.
After we go through how the the view camera works, we’ll head outside and see what we can do with our new skills. The Fox Darkroom is located in the Young Husband Kensington wool store, built in 1901, and features beautiful old bluestone alleyways, arched iron windows, local artists, studios, film props and its fair share of age-old grit and graffiti, providing lots of inspiration suitable for Large Format photography.
When we’re done shooting, we’ll come back to the studio and develop our 4×5 plates. If you’ve used Patterson tanks to develop your film before you’ll be familiar with this step, however large format is a little different than 35mm or 120mm rolls. This is another of the large format camera’s tricks, and we’ll explain how we can use this step to get really fantastic negatives.
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
What you will learn
- Learn how to use movements and other settings on a beautiful large format view camera to achieve the perfect picture.
- Explore the alleyways and hidden spaces of industrial Kensington while putting your new found knowledge into practice.
- Learn how to load large format film backs hand develop 4×5 negatives.
What you will get
- One-on-one guidance from a professional photographer.
- Access to a warm and inspiring learning environment. We believe everybody is capable of creating beautiful photographs, we will help you achieve this.
- Walk away with your own hand developed black and white negatives.
- We will supply you with a post workshop a comprehensive document outlining what we covered on the day, and how you can continue to practice techniques.
- Tea, coffee and snacks provided on arrival and throughout the day.
- A complimentary gift from your favourite darkroom.
What to bring
- Warm and comfortable clothes.
- A Large Format view camera is provided, however if you have a view camera, or another type of large format camera, bring it along. Make sure to bring your tripod too!
We welcome everyone from beginners to seasoned artists who want to brush up on a few techniques. An understanding of basic exposure and manual camera settings is ideal.