Medium Format Photography and Techniques
There are many reasons why experienced photographers decide to use Medium Format – often because of the clarity offered by the larger negative (around 4x that of 35mm)! But there are many other ways that a Medium Format camera can improve your work. A wide range of aspect ratios, interchangeable film backs and techniques not suited to most hand-held 35mm cameras can give you freedom to fine tune your images and get the best possible results. In this workshop we will cover intermediate techniques that employ graduated filters, spot metering and the hyperfocal distance that will help your images really stand out. Whether it’s portraiture or landscape that interests you, a MF camera is the way to go if you want that little bit more from your negatives.
We will supply all the materials needed including a Medium Format camera for each student. But of course, if you have your own Medium Format camera, feel free to bring it along!
After an introduction to how these techniques can be used with your camera, we’ll explore the area just outside our door. The Fox Darkroom is located in the Young Husband Kensington wool store, built in 1901, and features beautiful old bluestone alleyways, arched iron windows, local artists, studios, film props and its fair share of age-old grit and graffiti.
When we’re done shooting, we’ll come back to the studio and show you how develop your own film. As with all aspects of black and white photography, we will show you the tips and tricks for maximising ‘the feel’ you want to create with every new roll you shoot.
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
What you will learn
- Learn how to manually control settings on a beautiful vintage camera and achieve the shots you want
- Explore the alleyways and hidden spaces of industrial Kensington while putting your new found knowledge into practice
- Learn how to hand develop your own Medium Format black and white negatives
What you will get
- One-on-one guidance from a professional photographer
- Tea, coffee and snacks provided on arrival and throughout the day
- Post workshop a comprehensive PDF document outlining what we covered on the day, and how they can continue to develop film at home
- Walk away with your own batch of hand developed black and white negatives
- Access to a warm and inspiring learning environment. We believe everybody is capable of creating beautiful photographs, we will help you achieve this!
What to bring
- Warm and comfortable clothes
- We supply all the materials, plus a Medium Format camera for each student. But if you have your own please feel free to bring it along
We welcome everyone from beginners to seasoned artists who want to brush up on a few techniques.